Friday, November 22, 2013

Email Q&A from November 22, 2013

READER'S QUESTION:

Howdy!
I was wondering how long it took after beginning to supplement your HCL intake that you got relief from your GERD? I'm pinning down if my recent GP diagnosis is truly from my diabetes or is hypochlorhydria. I'm scheduling the Heidelberg test soon but am hoping to get some relief.

Thanks so much for your blog. I totally identified with what you wrote.
God bless!

Steve


MY RESPONSE:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your email. 

It didn't take too long for the HCl to help me with GERD.  It was more a matter of me playing around with the Betaine HCl supplement and figuring out how much to take with each meal and what was right for my personal needs.

I have been experiencing renewed digestive problems since September and hope to write about those and what's been helping and post to my blog in the near future.  (I think high stress and drinking too much lemon water set the problems off.) 

Since it may be a while before I have time to write about it all, I will share with you that a Mastic Gum supplement (I'm using the Solaray brand) and fermented foods like high quality, organic sauerkraut (make your own with organic ingredients or buy something like Ozuke) have been an immense help this time around.  Mastic Gum and drinking lots of Kombucha really helped me, and eating the sauerkraut with my lunch and dinner meals has really kept me going in a healthier direction. 

Something else that has really helped is making sure I do not drink anything *at all* within an hour before bedtime.  That has helped me immensely.  I have to set an alarm on my phone to remind me every night to take my last drinks of water one hour before bedtime, but it sure has helped my comfort at night.  Because my esophageal sphincter does not close and allows my stomach contents to go back into my esophagus, this is particularly helpful.

Also, you may benefit greatly by paying close attention to foods that cause your GERD to worsen and completely remove those from your diet.  You can do this by keeping a food journal for a month and writing down all the foods you eat and the results you feel after eating them and see what triggers the GERD.

Did you find someone in your area who does the Heidelberg test?  If so, that is FANTASTIC!

I wish you the best in figuring things out for yourself.  Feel free to email again if you have any other questions. 

Blessings on your journey,
Mary Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by the author. Thank you.